Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Reason #247 why I need a better camera.

Just last week I was telling someone how humpbacks no longer impress me as much as they used to. I mean, it's still exciting to see one, it's just such a common occurrence up here that it is no longer this heart stopping 'Oh-my-God' moment.
Apparently, the humpbacks got wind of this comment and decided to remind me of why they are so frickin' awesome.
My crappy point-and-shoot just isn't cutting it anymore. It's really frustrating when you run into about 20 humpbacks bubblefeeding and some of them even jump completely out of the water and this is all that you can get on film.
They got so close to the boat that I was a bit nervous. Humpbacks are HUGE. HUGE! They can weigh up to 75,000 pounds! Normally, I'm far enough away that I don't grasp just how big they are, but when 20 of them are surfacing 25 yards away from the 1,000 pound little boat you're in - well, that is pretty gosh darn impressive.
Unfortunately, it's going to be awhile before I have enough money to buy a better camera. But it is definitely on my must-have-eventually list now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cant believe you just said that. You are so effing spoiled. You dont DESERVE another camera.

Kritkrat said...

Jealous.

Em Cee McG said...

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG! That must have been awesome!

Anonymous said...

I am not jealous of you and your stupid whales. You forget, I live on the ocean also. I can go out and I see whales and sharks and rays and all sorts of other sh*! whenever I want. I just choose not to. Because I have better things to do. Like read this blog.

Radioactive Tori said...

How awesome is that? I am incredibly jealous! I would love to live somewhere so beautiful. I understand what you mean about seeing something so much you are not as excited about it though. We have deer and beavers and all kinds of animals in our backyard all the time. When we first moved here, we would all stop whatever we were doing and watch and go on and on about how awesome it was to see them all so close up. Now we sort of stop, look out the window for a second and go about our business. I still think it is cool, but not nearly as cool as at first.