Friday, July 31, 2009

Blueberries. My favorite berry.

Every summer I say I am going to make blueberry jam because it sounds like a fun Alaskan kind of thing to do. I finally got around to at least picking the berries yesterday. Berry picking is not as boring as I was expecting. In fact, it’s kind of addicting. Other than freaking myself out about being attacked by a bear, it was nice being out in the sun and doing something kind of mindless.

Then I started trying to clean the blueberries. Let me assure you, making jam is not going to become a hobby of mine. Pulling fruit worms out of blueberries one at a time is really, really boring. And kind of gross. Ok, really gross. I didn’t realize that wild blueberries had fruit worms. They are tiny little inch-worm looking things that you have to soak out of the berries. And some of them die before they get completely out so you have to go through the berries one at a time and pull worms out of probably a third of them. Yuck.

My goal was to make jam and knit something for everyone in my family this year for Christmas. Well, I have been slacking on my knitting and now I’m grossed out by making jam. Making your own gifts, I have decided, is way over rated. Thank God for gift cards.

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I dont like blueberries. Another thing about us that makes us completely compatible as friends. If we were stuck on a desert island with blueberries and (some veggie that you dont like) we wouldnt have to fight for food. Also, if that kid from Twilight was there and (some hot guy that I love that you strangely dont) only one of us could be with each of them we wouldnt have to fight over men either. Its perfect.

Em Cee McG said...

you could start a jam store and call it I got worms. Get it?

Em Cee McG said...

I have tasted you jam and I say, hip hip hooray, hip hip hooray, hip hip hooray! Three cheers indeed!