Monday, December 15, 2008

Winter is coming!

Juneau has not had as much snow as most of the Midwest. At least not at sea level. I thought I'd be fine with that but snow is damn pretty and I think I would be happy with a little bit more snow in my life. I know, crazy talk from someone that has been complaining about winter for the last two months. But I went cross country skiing for the first time ever this weekend. It's not as easy as it looks. I think that I am going to stick with groomed trails for the rest of this winter. And the ponds are frozen so you can skate on them and the ski lodge is finally open and it's all just making me want more snow!
Mountains are always pretty, but there is just something about the snow that makes them breathtaking.
My neighborhood is the most awesome part of Juneau. It would be nice to live out the road right on the ocean, but I like being downtown where all the action is!

I love crisp, cold winter nights. Everything is so clear and fresh. And the stars and moon are amazing. Pretty soon the Northern Lights will start to appear (hopefully) and it will be worth it to get bundled up and leave my bed at 2am to go outside and enjoy the show.
I don't know why, but I just love this picture. I don't think there was any snow on the ground yet, but it was right before the first real snowfall and it was the first time I was outside and actually excited about winter. Getting around in snow is annoying, but it sure is beautiful!

1 comment:

Radioactive Tori said...

Those pictures are beautiful!

I have never been skiing of any kind. I am dying to try but sort of scared that I will make an ass of myself trying!

Snow is beautiful. If it wasn't so cold and slippery for driving I would actually love it.