Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Five dollars, my ass


I was walking past Subway the other day when I noticed a gigantic sign in the window that said: “$6 Footlongs!!” Wait, what? The stupid $5 footlong jingle has been stuck in my head for the last 27-years, how can it be six stupid dollars?! Oh, that’s right. I live in Alaska now. We get screwed on pretty much every deal you see advertised on tv, and yet I still have to watch the dumb commercials whenever Ugly Betty is on because Pizza Hut/Blockbuster/Target/TGIFridays commercials are national. I hate seeing Olive Garden or Toxic Hell (Taco Bell, duh) commercials at midnight when I know I am going to wake up with a hangover and pretty much anything looks delicious. We have one Subway and two McDonald’s and that is the extent of our chain restaurants. There is no Kmart, no Walgreens, no Burger King.

The lack of crappy fast food and stores loaded with products made in Taiwan is part of what I love about Alaska, but when we get screwed on shipping even though postage costs the same whether you mail it to Alabama or Alaska and we get screwed on subs and when I can’t make a run for the border at 2am, that’s when living here can kinda sucks.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That $5 jingle is always in my head, too! Maybe you and I need to be committed.

Radioactive Tori said...

I hadn't heard that jingle in a while but now it is stuck in my head! Sorry yours is extra.

Anonymous said...

I still have nothing clever to respond to this, so I think I will just point out that you can totally make a run for the border, it is just the border with Canada, and you have to be willing to trek over thirty miles of ice field.

Anonymous said...

I think that is longer than a foot. I would pay six dollars for that.

Kim @citygirlinak said...

I have been reading through your posts (which I love) and each "alaska" post I want to comment on, but since I am supposed to be working I picked this one. first off, I have always LOVED snow...now that I have lived in Nome for 2 years...I HATE snow. second, I really want to move to Juneau. My husband was born there, and he loves southeast. (so why the hale do we live in Nome? i dunno) third, we have Subway (the only "fast food" we have here) which I love! and I was pissed when I went to get my $5 foot long, and had to pay $8! yea I said it...$8! oh and my all time favorite restaurant is Olive Garden and I salivate everytime their commercial comes on...and then I weep because I want it so bad and can't have it!

I concur, living in Alaska does kinda suck.