Pint’s surgery is scheduled for May 14, but she has been getting around just fine and she doesn’t seem to be in any pain, so I am starting to have second thoughts about it. It’s not a money thing. I forgot about Bush’s wonderful tax stimulus plan so money isn’t going to be a huge problem. It’s more the fact that Pint is pushing 14, and she could be even older because I got her from the pound and her age was just an estimate. Plus, it’s a pretty extensive surgery. A full week in a sling. Eight weeks total recovery.
Do I put my old dog through that? Twenty years ago, a canine cruciate ligament surgery didn’t exist. You let your dog gimp around and if the pain got too bad, you put it down. I am not prepared to do that, not if she is otherwise healthy. But if she is not in any pain, I could prolong the surgery to see if it’s really needed. I mean, she is running around and wagging her tail and begging for food. I know my dog. I know when she is hurt and she is not acting hurt right now.
And the surgery would hurt her. It’s not like I can tell her what’s going on. So, I have no idea what I am going to do. I really hate that age is a factor, but I am trying to be realistic. She might only live a few more years. And she is not exactly super active right now. She probably sleeps 20 hours a day. At least. I absolutely hate that I have to make this decision and I wish she could just tell me what she wants me to do. Ugh. Sometimes, being an adult really sucks.