Tuesday, September 18, 2007

How Slow Can Your Exodus Go?


I have slowly been cleaning off my desk at work. Not bleaching down the surfaces, although that would probably be a good thing, but taking home shit that has accumulated since I started working here. All my pictures are gone, the stupid stuffed penguin they gave me when I first started is gone, the mostly dead plant, and most of my books. All that is left now is my assortment of various teas and Emergen-C, the year old can of soup I have never gotten desperate enough to eat for lunch, and the copy of Middlesex I’ve been reading whenever my boss doesn’t come in.

I am trying to clean up so that when I leave, which is inevitable at this point since I despise my job more and more with each passing day, it won’t be so difficult to get the hell out of here. I am also trying to not make it so noticeable that I am planning ahead for an easy exit. So far, my plan seems to be working. They have no idea what’s coming.

9 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Good plan. I've actually employed similar tactics in the past. But be careful. Nothing says "I'm desperately trying to get the hell out of here" as a cube wall that no longer has pictures. They might catch on shortly.

Em Cee McG said...

seriously, peace corps. Maybe they'll send you to Bolivia and you can be my neighbor. The beer and everything else is really cheap... but I'm still broke and am really interested in how much the PFD will be this year!

Kritkrat said...

Jorge - quit bragging about your stupid PFD. You totally suck.

Also, I lost your new address. If you email it to me, I promise to write!

Mighty Dyckerson said...

x2 on Cherry's comment about the pictures. Instead of just taking them down, how about replacing them with pictures of complete strangers? Just print out some selections from Google images and stick them on your walls. You can pretend they're distant relatives. And when bolt outta there, just leave the pics behind.

Am I a genius or what??!

Anonymous said...

I did the same thing, and I am so glad I did. The gradual departure that they don't even notice makes you feel like you're really, truly moving toward leaving...without them knowing it. So stealthy. Less and less connected everyday. Feels so good.

david hayes said...

Stealth quiting is the best way to do it.

Anonymous said...

i did the exact same thing when i left my job too. i think it's good for the simple reason that not only will it make your exit that much more efficient, but if there's anything you want to take with you before you leave you still can ;)

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

There's that dancing Mario again!! I'm making the rounds on blogs for the first time in a while, and he's everywhere!

Anyway, I hope you find a new job that you like when you dart out of this one.

Unknown said...

I see that everyone is commenting on how you are leaving your job. That is not what I found the most important part of this blog. What I am simply SHOCKED about is HOW CAN YOU NOT HAVE READ MIDDLESEX YET!? Hermaphrodite literature doesnt get much better than that.