Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Ahoy Matey!

In just over a week now, I will be drifting along somewhere in the Atlantic, sipping a cocktail, and working on my tan. And Lord knows, I could use a tan. I fully admit that I immensely enjoy being a natural blond, but I have got to be one of the whitest white people on the planet. Anyway, I haven’t been on a sailboat in almost two years now and I am downright giddy with anticipation. One of the things I miss most about Alaska is the ocean. The smell, watching the tides, the sounds of waves crashing into docks and rocks and boats. And sailing in Southeast Alaska is phenomenal. Anywhere you go mountains are in the background. Whale sightings are virtually guaranteed. If the wind dies down – throw out a fishing line or two and salmon or halibut could be on the table for dinner. And there are so many old, abandoned mines and deserted towns that once were bustling ports thriving with immigrants in search of gold. Funter Bay is a now vacant site where the US government dumped Aleut Natives during World War II to ‘protect’ them from Japanese bombings. No one ever returned for them and today all that remains is a small grave yard, a remote Fish & Game lodge, and two or three - I can't remember anymore - privately owned summer homes. Funter Bay is my favorite sailing destination in Alaska, followed closely by Gustavus. I have a feeling that at some point in my life, I am definitely going to return to Alaska. Alaska gets under your skin.

Sailing around in the Bahamas is most definitely going to be a very different experience. My crew responsibilities include next to nothing, so all I really have to do is drink and possibly mix other people drinks. I am not certified to dive (d’oh!) because water in Alaska is wicked cold, but I plan on snorkeling and there are supposed to be some amazing coral reefs in Bimini. It is going to be a fantastic way to bring in 2007!

No comments: