Friday, August 29, 2008

Here We Go Again...

Ok, I am pretty liberal. And I am going to get political here, so if you are going to have a problem with that – well, that’s just too damn bad. Quit reading.

Last night, Obama’s Democratic acceptance speech was absolutely phenomenal. Not quite as good as the speech he made four years ago, but damn good. I fully admit that I am a big cry baby, but he made me cry nonetheless. And more importantly, he gave me hope. The last eight years have been brutal, and Obama is the most interesting politician I have seen since Feingold first ran for office. Do I agree with his stance on clean coal and nuclear? Hell no. But in a two party system, I don’t think there is ever going to be a candidate you completely agree with and you can either accept that or vote for some random Green Party candidate that doesn’t have a chance in hell. The point is that after Obama’s speech, I was revved up and excited about politics again.

Then McSame, er, McCain announced his VP running mate, Sarah Palin. You may be asking yourself, who? She’s the Governor of Alaska, silly! She’s been in office since 2006, how could you not know her? I just better not hear anything else from the Republican Party about Obama not having enough experience. Palin is younger and her only political experience comes from a state with less than one million residents. She has zero foreign policy experience. But she was the runner up in the Miss Alaska pageant in 1984, so I mean, that’s gotta count for something.

I am not a fan of Mrs. Palin. We don’t agree on many things politically. But unfortunately, I think it was a fantastic move on McCain’s part. She’s a woman, so she can potentially get some of the stubborn Hillary supporters. (Personally, I think that is total bullshit. Obama’s and Hillary’s voting records are SO similar. Voting for McCain just because you wanted a vagina in the White House is fucking dumb.) She is also young, which is something McCain obviously isn’t. Her oldest son is actually in the Army – and how many politicians can say that - and her youngest, born this past April, has Down’s syndrome. She’s got two built in audiences right there.

Alaskans also seem to really like her even though she is under investigation for illegally firing a police officer. (The officer sounds like a total douche, but he was also Palin’s ex brother-in-law and douche or not, I don’t think there was enough evidence to fire him. I think. I haven’t really been paying attention to that story because I don’t have a tv and to be completely honest, the story is boring.) But that story should be an easy PR cover-up, nothing major. Then there's the pregnancy rumors. (Seriously, this is Palin 6 months pregnant? Life is not fair.) They started almost as soon as Palin annoucned she was pregnant. Some people say Trig is actually her 16-year-old daughters. It's especially fishy since the last few months of Palin's pregnancy, her daughter was out of school because she 'had mono'. I've had mono, and I certainly didn't miss MONTHS of school, but I know it can be a beast and I feel like the facts would have been leaked by now if that story was true. So I highly doubt that will factor in at all over the next two months. And with the right media spin, she is going to be gold this election. And I am going to have to consider moving to Canada. Again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alas, finally someone out here I can deal with!

The Trailer Of Love

moondog said...

yeah, i think mccain is going to ultimately regret the choice of palin, but so far he's getting a lot of coverage because of her. she's obviously good at being a politician or else she wouldn't be in her current position. but she has to be the perfect candidate for the repubs to even have a snowball chance in hell of winning the election.

also, i am active in green party politics, and one thing we always tell people is that the dems & repubs are not entitled to your vote, they have to earn them. as long as we have a winner take all system, we will be forever locked into a race of the lesser of two evils. it's less true this election, but i don't have to remind you of the history of presidential politics (i hope).

we also see instances of the major parties bending rules to make the ballot while simultaneously making it prohibitively difficult for non-major parties to make the ballot and/or looking for every technicality to throw them off. basically, if you belong to the D's and R's you are guaranteed that the system will accommodate your candidacy whether you follow the laws or not.

Em Cee McG said...

Man, I can't believe it. That was a smart move by McSaim but I don't think it could possibly work. I hope to little mennonite cheese makin' baby Jesus that it doesn't work.

Also, without your music thingy on the side I am stuck listening to horrible 80's hairband music in this internet café. Thanks! But I like the new look other than that.

Anonymous said...

My biggest beef with Palin is that she thinks she is hotter than she is. Sure she may have been runner up, but that was more than 20 years ago and now, though she has the potential to be really pretty, I just dont find her attractive at all.