Saturday, August 11, 2007

Can you say "JADED"?

For a few weeks now, I have been sending out job applications to no avail. But apparently, my luck is changing. I had an interview last week and two more places have called me to set up interviews. The problem is, I have no idea what I want to do. I mean, they all sound like fine jobs. And I know that I want to leave my current job. But I think I am officially jaded now. That idealistic college grad is gone and basically I am just trying to figure out which one of these jobs would suck the least. I didn’t expect that to happen so fast.

If I rock all three interviews and get offered all three jobs, I could stay in DC, move back to Milwaukee, or move on to yet another new city. I am sick of moving, but I’ve been complaining about DC for at least a few months now. And if I took the job here, even though it’s definitely the best job career wise, I know it wouldn’t make me any happier. If I go to a completely new city, I’m basically starting all over. Again. And if I take I job in Milwaukee, I go back to my past, which isn’t all that great.

A girl I work with at REI is packing up her truck and heading out west. She has no plan, no definite destination. And I am so jealous of her right now. When I went to Vegas to see George off before he left for PeaceCorp, I met some of his friends out there and they were pretty fucking awesome. I told this girl I work with that she should look them up when she gets to Colorado and it sounds like she is going to do just that. She is going to learn how to ski and get drunk with people I want to be friends with and leave whenever she wants to. And I can’t do that because I have a dog and a shit ton of debt to pay off. And it’s not like I have a PhD or a law degree to show for it either. No, I have a semester abroad and poor credit card management skills. What I really want to do is find a shitty ass job that pays be a butt load of money so I can get my car and my student loans paid off in the next two years and then I too can run off to Colorado and do whatever the hell I want. Now I just have to figure out where to even find a job that doesn’t require much experience and pays well. Any suggestions?

8 comments:

Mighty Dyckerson said...

I hear coal miners make pretty good coin.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I've been looking into being a recruiter, because it has incentive-based pay with a decent base, and you don't need much experience.

Is that a picture of Cherry Ride just before getting tossed into the Patty Wagon?

Kritkrat said...

I wish I had hung out with Cherry before - he sounds like a good times!

Fro boy there would be the one and only George McG, King Shit of Fuck Mountain! (You should see him in a tux!)

The [Cherry] Ride said...

While I make the same face as George McG, it ain't me.

I wish I had a suggestion for you re: hi-paying jobwith low experience. I am in search of such a job myself.

Unknown said...

High class hooker. Or low class hooker with a good work ethic, and good tricks. Or columbian drug lord. But really, that one is going to take some effort. You would have to learn spanish and practice saying things along the lines of "say hello to my little friend," and everyone knows that line is just overused and hackneyed by now. Either way, I have connections for all three, so call me.

valorie said...

you can always move back to juneau. there are more job openings than able-bodied adults, and the nonprofits are especially hurting. oh wait, you said pays well. drats. well good luck with it.

Em Cee McG said...

Peace Corps lets you put your loans off for another 2 years, which is more like my kind of financial planning. Plus you can see really cool places and when you come back people think you are more professional, and you might be, but just also might be a better functioning alcoholic. And you'll meet somebody nice when you go. And you are close to their office in DC and don't have to make long distance calls to finish your application. And it's really the best thing I've ever done.

Scary Monster said...

Me suggests professional panhandling.
Ya can embarrass the local polititions into supporting you, avoid paying taxes, live out of yer car and get to use the dog as a prop. Make the pooch earn it's keep.

STOMP.