Friday, January 04, 2008

Yellowstone!

The thermals were so unbelievably blue. And our weather was fantastic the entire trip which made them appear fathomless. I think my favorite were the fumaroles.
What can I say about Old Faithful? I think that winter was the perfect time to be in Yellowstone for the first time. I think the West is calling me. I can definitely see myself working in Yellowstone or living in Montana. Or Alaska. Maybe my New Year's resolution should be to figure out what the hell I want to do with my life...

There was a blanket of snow at least a foot deep over all the trees creating what they call 'snow ghosts'. I have a crappy point and shoot camera, but I was really impressed with how well it took pictures and I just love the way the snow looks covering everything.

In an awesome coincidence, Tracy just happened to be in Yellowstone at the exact same time I was so we got to spend New Year's Eve together! I haven't seen Tracy since I left Juneau, but she is one of those friends where you can not talk for months - or even years - and the second you meet up somewhere you take up right where you left off. It was good times and I miss that girl!

The circle of life. Kinda gross, but amazing at the same time.
Coyote tracks next to a wolf track. Wolves are a LOT bigger than I thought they'd be.
Ok, I know this isn't a Yellowstone picture but for Christmas I decided to let Pint have at it. She definitely enjoyed her first meaty prime rib bone. A lot.

8 comments:

a quiet citizen said...

I also really enjoyed the hell out of your photo album online. i see pint still has a smalldog complex. pray for my seahawks tomorrow! but if it comes down to lambeau against the pack, im gonna have to go with my boys. be prepared. :)

moondog said...

i love how mean those little yap dogs look when they get some real meat to tear into :)

oh, and packers all the way baby! screw holmgren!!

Michael5000 said...

Man, those Yellowstone pictures are amazing! I've only been in Summer and 13 years ago; it mostly looked like motorhomes.

Were the wolves and the unfortunate quadruped just, like, by the side of the road?

Julie_Gong said...

that dog looks like he's giving that meat the business

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Glad you ha a good time.

Point and shoot? Really?

5 of 9er said...

Great photos! There are so many places in the States I need to visit... and Yellowstone is on the list!

minijonb said...

nice pix. i haven't seen those thermals since i was a kid.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

I heard Yellowstone is one, big, active volcano and could F up the whole world if it blew.